|Scavenger hunt for the party|
In an attempt to keep up with my new Friday ritual, here’s the Dreamy/Practical list for the upcoming weekend. Thanks again Mary Beth for the inspiration! Monday is a PD day for the boys, so this is essentially a long weekend for us. Muffy’s 7th birthday is on Monday, so it is going busy/fun. We are having his “friend” party on Sunday and a family get-together on Monday. He is so excited, he is literally bursting. So here's my list....what's on yours?
· Host Muffy’s friend party on Sunday afternoon. Now that the parents don’t stick around for these things, I actually find them fairly easy to host. There is less to worry about when you don’t feel like you are entertaining adults too. The weather forecast looks great, which is a bonus. The whole party is going to be outside and in our barn. I’ve got a scavenger hunt planned and my husband always takes the kids on a hike/treasure hunt around the property. He gets fun and creative with it and the kids always have fun. Cupcakes are already in the freezer and I’ll just be serving a few nibble treats, fruit and juice boxes. Simple is key.
· Make a cake for the family party. I’m thinking of trying out this coconut flour cake for something new. Yikes, it takes a dozen eggs? Any other suggestions for yummy cakes would be helpful.
· Cast on a fall knitting project. Chi-Chi is asking for a cardigan hoodie. He and I have his yarn picked out, but need to make a final decision on a pattern. There is a cute pattern in the latest issue of Taproot that I may run by him for approval. He’s getting pretty picky about his wardrobe these days.
· Trip to the Dartmouth Farmers’ Market early Saturday morning, solo! Saturday is my “day off” from working out, but I still find it impossible to sleep in. I’m wired to be up at 5:45 am. While the rest of the house is sleeping in on Saturday mornings, I’ve been sneaking off to the market to buy the week’s worth of veggies as well as a treat for mama. It’s a nice escape and actually allows me to TALK to vendors/friends at the market, instead of dealing with two sweet boys wrestling in the isles (: My favorite treat these days is a raw vegan pecan pie that I can’t resist!
· Prep for the party…which basically means getting the barn cleaned up. I usually bring out a few kid-sized tables and chairs. It’s going to be a bit strange this time since we have the sheep living in the barn. They will be out in the paddock, but the barn has a “animal smell”, that I actually find rather charming (; What will the kid’s think?
· Regular weekend to do’s including running kids to hockey and bulk prepping lunch boxes for the week ahead. With all the entertaining going on, I’m not expecting much to happen on the practical end of things other than party prep and party clean up. Of course, having the party outside the house is going to keep any clean up minimal.